Purdue University, West Lafayette (Indiana), USA
going on-line due to the COVID situation
or download a PDF version of it
(with more details currently but will not be updated so much).
The topics of this 2021's edition are:
- Noise control materials (lightweight, transportation, electronics),
- Modeling (physical & computational),
- Characterization & measurement techniques,
- Multi-functional porous materials,
- Multi-scale and nanoporous materials,
- New materials (including natural, recycled, 3D-printed, structured materials).
Special attention will be paid to reserving time for discussion.
Keynote lectures are scheduled at the beginning of the sessions. Here are the confirmed speakers and topics :
Rodolfo Venegas(University Austral of Chile, Chile)
Wave propagation in hierarchical nanoporous materials
Camille Perrot(Université Gustave Eiffel, France)
What are the microstructural features having a significant effect at the upper scale in acoustic materials? Understanding the physics and guiding the manufacturing process
J. Stuart Bolton(Purdue University, IN, USA)
Poro-elastic materials and the control of low frequency sound
Bhisham Sharma(Wichita State University, USA)
Additive Manufacturing of Porous Noise Absorbers
Tian Jian Lu(Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, China)
Ultralight hybrid-cored sandwich constructions for simultaneous load bearing, energy absorption and sound absorption
Gordon Ebbitt(Ebbitt Acoustical Consulting, Ann Arbor, MI, USA)
Application of porous materials in the automotive industry when subject to multi-dimensional constraints
SAPEM agenda & important dates
March 1st, 2021 : notification of acceptance for abstracts.
March 8th, 2021 : deadline for early registrations.
March 15th, 2021 : send a link to your max 10-min recorded presentation to Brian Barret (firstname.lastname@example.org).
March 29th to April 2nd, 2021 : the conference.
Presenters will be required to submit a 10-min (or shorter) video recording of their talks to Brian Barret (email@example.com) before March 15.
.mp4, .avi or .mov files will be accepted as long as the audio codec is MP3 or AAC and the video codec is H.264 (these are the default codecs in most video recording systems so if you don't understand a word of the prior sentence you should be good).
There are many ways and softwares to record presentations, such as PowerPoint or Zoom. When making your recordings, please keep the following things in mind:
- If using a phone, hold horizontally.
- Avoid looking up or down with the camera. Try to shoot at eye level with your camera in a locked position. Make sure eyes are set about 1/3 below top of screen.
- Avoid distracting backgrounds above your head (i.e. Zoom backgrounds
- Record in a quiet room if possible.
- Avoid windows or bright lights in the background.
- Try to use a well-lit room with light in front of you lighting your face.
- If possible, use an external microphone. If not possible, try to get close to the microphone for best quality.
- Blue is the best color for video.
- Practice your presentation several times before attempting to record.
- Consider using video editing tools such as Adobe Premiere to record parts of your presentation then editing together shorter clips.
We ask that you provide a downloadable link to your recorded presentation by March 15, 2021. We will review your presentation for quality, and any requests for changes will be made by March 19. Final presentations will be loaded in to the event platform (socio.events) by March 26. We also ask that you provide any presentation materials as a PDF.
If you have any questions, please reach out to our conference coordinator:
Marketing and Communications Specialist
Ray W. Herrick Laboratories
177 S. Russell Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2099
The conference fees will include access to the proceedings.
On or before March 8th 2021 (early bird registrations), the fees are 250 USD per participant.
Fees are reduced to 125 USD for students (on presentation of a valid student card).
After March 8th 2021 (late bird registrations), the fees are 275 USD per participant and 150 USD for students.
SAPEM is organized by J. Stuart Bolton, Brian T. Barrett, Yutong Tony Xue, and Patricia Davies from The Ray W. Herrick Laboratories at Purdue University and Luc Jaouen, François-Xavier Bécot and Fabien Chevillotte from Matelys.
The 2021 Symposium on the Acoustics of Poro-Elastic Materials was originally planned to be hosted at Purdue University in West Lafayette, IN, USA. However, due to the COVID situation, the decision was taken to go virtual.
- Emmanuel Gourdon
- Claude Boutin
- Paolo Bonfiglio
- Francesco Pompoli
- Peter Göransson
- Kirill Horoshenkov
- Olivier Dazel
- Jean-Philippe Groby
- Camille Perrot
- Rodolfo Venegas
- Heavy Zhang
- Yutong Tony Xue
- Keith Wilson
- Stuart Bolton
- Patricia Davies
- Fabien Chevillotte
- François-Xavier Bécot
- Luc Jaouen
For additional information